National Breast Imaging Academy – Radiology Fellowship Programme
The National Breast Imaging Academy (NBIA) has been established to address the breast imaging workforce shortages in England, and to raise the profile of breast imaging.
The NBIA breast radiology fellowship programme, launched in September 2019, is a new and exciting training opportunity which has been developed in conjunction with several leading breast units across the country. This is designed to promote excellence in breast imaging, challenge the most talented trainees and provide the leaders, educators and researchers of the future.
We have recruited two cohorts of fellows since the programme started in September 2019 and are now recruiting cohort 3.
What are the aims of the NBIA fellowship programme?
- Offer a gold-standard training opportunity in breast radiology
- Use the pooled expertise and experience of the breast imaging community to provide enhanced training in specific aspects of breast imaging
- Equip talented trainees to become the leaders, educators and researchers of the future
Who can apply?
- UK radiology trainees who will have achieved their CCT prior to the start of the fellowship
- UK radiologists who have achieved their CCT
- Overseas radiologists with equivalent qualifications (must also meet International Sponsorship Scheme criteria if applicable)
What is the duration of the fellowship?
Fellowships are for 12 months if working full time, or equivalent duration if less than full time.
What is the recruitment process?
Applicants will undergo a competitive centralised recruitment process. Candidates will be given a list of potential host sites and asked to rank the host sites in order of preference. Successful candidates will be matched to host sites in order of interview score. Candidates with the highest scores are most likely to be matched to their preferred unit.
Timelines for next intake
- Fellowships are due to be advertised in mid-July 2021 for six weeks. To be notified of recruitment timelines please email email@example.com
- Interviews to take place in October 2021
- Fellowships to commence in April 2022
What can I expect from the fellowship?
NBIA fellowship is designed to be single subspecialty training opportunity in breast. Fellows will train in various aspects of breast imaging whilst supporting general radiology service delivery. Training will be supplemented by fully-funded bespoke study blocks where all fellows will come together to receive expert teaching and benefit from networking opportunities.
Fellows who are interested in developing their skills in research, leadership and teaching will be encouraged and supported to do so and the NBIA will facilitate access to opportunities to progress in these areas. Fellows will also be given access to dedicated online resources developed by NBIA.
On call is not a requirement of the fellowship however if there is a service need this will be negotiated locally and paid for by the host site.
How will I be supervised?
You will have an identified Educational Supervisor who will monitor your progress throughout the year and provide the NBIA panel with an end of year evaluation document. Subject to satisfactory progression you will be awarded with a Certificate of completion of Fellowship at the end of your 12 month Fellowship.